Picture of a dog and cat.On 1 October 2018 new Government regulations came into force that apply to pet shops, dog breeders, catteries, kennels, home boarders, doggy day care, riding establishments and performance or exhibition of animals.

What animal activities require an animal licence?

Licensable Activity Guidance Notes
  • Pet shop
  • Selling animals as pets

Selling animals as pets - version 1.2 [pdf] 993KB

  • Animal boarding establishments
  • Commercial boarding kennels
  • Catteries
  • Home dog boarding
  • Dog day care/creche

Dog breeding establishments

Dog Breeding Guidance version 1.2 [pdf] 648KB

  • Riding establishments
  • Hiring out horses

Hiring out horses - version 1.2 [pdf] 496KB

  • Keepers and trainers of performing animals (certificate of registration current requirement)
  • Exhibition of animals

Guidance notes for exhibiting animals [pdf] 616KB

What happens next?

Existing licences remain in force for the remainder of their term, under the current regulations in place. Renewal licences and all new licence applications after 1 October 2018 will need to be made under the new Regulations.

We are currently in the process of reviewing the new legislation and guidance. As a result, licence conditions will be changed and our fees and procedures will also need to be adjusted. If you have an animal licence with us we will contact you in due course to let you know what the next steps are. In the meantime, you should review the above guidance to see how the changes might impact on your business.

Dangerous Wild Animals and Zoos licences remain largely unaffected by the Regulations.

New applications

Anyone wishing to apply for a new animal licence should contact us before making an application. You must then:

Further information

Dangerous wild animals and zoos

Reporting poor care of animals

We are responsible for any welfare issues occurring in premises which we licence. If you suspect animal welfare needs are not being met in an establishment that we licence please contact us. For all other enquiries reporting the welfare of animals please call the RSPCA's 24-hour national cruelty and advice line on 0300 1234 999.

Licences issued and notices

Contact us

By email: licensing@ashford.gov.uk

By post: Licensing, Ashford Borough Council, Tannery Lane, Ashford, Kent, TN23 1PLPL