Personal Licence

A personal licence allows you to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol in a venue which has either a premises licence or a temporary event notice. A personal licence on its own is not enough to authorise the sale of alcohol.

Personal licences are issued by the local authority where a person lives. Since 6 April 2015 they have no expiry date. Personal licence holders can authorise up to 50 temporary event notices in each calendar year.

Before applying for a personal licence, a recognised qualification [pdf] 220KB must be achieved before you apply for a personal licence. This is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities attached to the sale of alcohol.

How to apply

Complete and return the Personal licence application form [docx] 52KB and Disclosure of convictions and civil penalties declaration [pdf] 95KB to us, along with:

  • two photographs of yourself, one of which is endorsed as a true likeness
  • the original or a certified copy of your licensing qualification certificate
  • the results of a basic criminal convictions check (no older than one month).
  • fee of £37.00
  • Right to work document

Notification of change of name or address or lost badge

Please complete the Personal licence COA form [pdf] 780KB and return it to us, along with your licence (badge and paper copy), two new photos and a fee of £10.50.

Privacy notice

We are the data controller for any personal information collected in this application. Your information will be used to administrate the licence, processing is being conducted relying upon a contractual legal basis. Your data may be shared with other departments within the council for the purpose of improving services, keeping records up-to-date and for the protection of the public fund. It may also share your data with other bodies responsible for auditing public funds for these purposes. You can find further information about data sharing to identify fraud on our Data Sharing to Identity Fraud page. Your information will be retained as long as you hold the licence + 12 years. For more information about your data protection rights please see our Data Protection page or contact the Data Protection Officer by post: Ashford Borough Council, Civic Centre, Tannery Lane, Ashford, Kent, TN23 1PL or email:

Contact us

Email our licensing team

By post:
Civic Centre
Tannery Lane
Kent TN23 1PL 

Personal Licence FAQs

Do I need a personal licence to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)?+

No, a non-personal licence holder can have five TENs per calendar year.

My current personal licence has an expiry date on it; do I need to change it?+

No, but if you want a new badge we need two new photos and a fee of £10.50.

I have moved out of the borough, which council should I contact to change my address?+

You always remain licensed by the council that issued your licence.

I have lost my licence; how can I get a replacement?+

You need to provide two new photos and a fee of £10.50.

What do I need to apply for a personal licence?+

You need to complete Personal Licence Application Part 1 [pdf] 570KB and Personal Licence Application Part 2 [pdf] 482KB as well as a fee of £37.00. In addition, you'll need to provide a Personal Licence Certificate, two photos (one of which is endorsed by someone – who is not a family member – as a true likeness) and a basic disclosure (dated within a calendar month).

Where can I do my personal licence qualification?+

Please refer to the list of providers above or do a Google search for local courses.

What does the personal licence course involve?+

It's a one day course with a multiple choice exam at the end of the day.

I have changed my address. Do I need to update my licence?+

Yes, you need to support to us the notification of change of name or address form [pdf] 825KB with the fee of £10.50 and your paper and card licence. If you wish to update your photo at the same time, please submit a new passport size photograph.